How to ensure you get the most out of your tattoo removal treatment
TATTOO REMOVAL AFTER CARE: HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR SKIN POST-TREATMENT
STEP BY STEP AFTERCARE
Post Laser Tattoo Removal
1. You may apply cool compresses as necessary for 24 hours to help reduce discomfort and inflammation. Cool packs can be used every 2-4 hours for 10-15 min.
2. Elevate area if treated on arm or legs.
3. Feel free to shower a few hours after the treatment, but to avoid high-pressure water hitting the treated area. Baths, hot tubs, swimming pools or any forms of soaking are not recommended as they may increase the risk of infection.
4. Clean the area gently with soap and water and then pat the area dry. Keep the treated area clean and dry while it is healing.
5. You may apply a thin coating of Bepanthen or antibiotic ointment up to three times a day for 3 days while the area is healing. You should keep the area covered with a non-adherent dressing or TELFA pad over the treated area until it is healed.
6. You may take plain PANADOL to help reduce discomfort but avoid ASPRIN (It can increase the risk of bruising and or bleeding).
7. Itching is very common due to the dehydrating effect of the laser treatment. Use one of the following Bepanthen, Vitamin E ointment, or HYDROCORTISONE cream to keep the treatment area moisturised.
8. If crusting occurs, do not shave or pick area. Apply BEPANTHEN or antibiotic ointment to wound area 2-3 times a day. Keep the area moist, and let the scab fall off on its own.
9. Do not pick at the scab or allow the skin to become scraped, as this may result in infection and scarring.
10. Shaving should be avoided in the treated area until the area is completely healed.
11. No rubbing and or scratching the treated area.
12. Contact your care provider if there is any indication of blistering or infection (redness, tenderness or pus).
13. Blistering is uncommon and is likely to occur 6-8 hours after your treatment, blisters heal very well. Continue to put BEPANTHEN or antibiotic ointment over the blisters once they have popped for at least 24 hours.
14. Exercise is generally safe after 24 hours of treatment, taking into account the other aftercare instructions provided here.
15. Avoid Contact Sports sports or any other activity that could cause bruising of the treated area.
16. Wear sunblock with SPF of 50 or higher over the area for 4 weeks following the treatment.
17. Do not wear makeup or any cream or medication on or near the treated area unless it is recommended by our office for 48 hours.
18. If the area looks infected (honey coloured crusting and oozing or spreading redness), if you experience an unusual discomfort or bleeding, if any other complications develop or if you have any questions or concerns contact our office immediately.
19. If you have any extreme reaction, seek immediate medical attention.